We all have a washing machine. Or access to one. After time, washing machines build up gunk that doesn’t allow your clothes to be cleaned as well as they should be. And then there can be that funky smell! Not my fave. When we moved into our rented condo a few months ago, there was a washer and dryer already there for me to use! Alleluia! I’d been using a stinkin’ (literally) laundromat for 5 years and I was tired of it! As absolutely grateful as I was to finally have my own W/D, there was the lingering gunk from the previous tenants of 5 years and I was not a fan. Although there were products out there that would’ve cleaned my washing machine for me I didn’t want to spend the $10-15 to buy the name brand cleaning packets when I felt I had my own solution!
Thus, my DIY washing machine cleaner was born!
What you need:
|2-4 c. vinegar||2 c. bleach|
|1 loads worth of your laundry detergent||old towel|
- Make sure your washer is empty.
- Pour in 1-2 c. vinegar where you would put the detergent.
- Start your washing machine, using warm – hot water, on the normal cycle
- Repeat (at least twice, depending on the yuckiness of your washer)
- *Pour in 1-2 c. bleach in the detergent spot
- Start a normal cycle using warm – hot water
- Repeat 1-2x, depending how dirty your washer is.
- Wipe out the inside with an old towel
- **Run your washer, using the detergent this time (empty, still)
- VIOLA! A clean washing machine
*Make sure your first load with clothes in it is a white load, just in case there is leftover bleach
**This step is optional!
Typically, you have to run your washer at least 3 times total with the name brand cleaning packets. When I did this I ran my washer 3 times (2 with vinegar, 1 with bleach) before I felt it was clean enough! Helloooo, clean washing machine!